Patent Counsel, EMEA
Location Dublin, Leinster, Irlande
ID de l'offre J000640891
Aptiv is supported by a lean and agile global IP team that fosters and captures the company’s innovation, aligns their patent strategy with the company’s commercial aims, designs solutions for avoiding infringement risks, supports on due diligence for transactions in an increasingly acquisitive automotive market and much, much more.
Aptiv is seeking to hire a new patent counsel to support the company in its continued growth and focus on innovation.
You will join a team of senior IP colleagues led by David Goodfellow, Vice President, Chief IP Counsel, spread across Europe, the United States and China and bringing prior experience from the likes of Amazon, Guardian, Harman, Charles Schwab, and NetEase. The team is supported by further IP paralegal and support staff.
The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for supporting research and development in Europe for the company’s Signal & Power Solutions (S&PS) business in Germany. France, Poland and Portugal. Exposure to the research and development teams in the United States and Asia Pacific is also on offer.
Aptiv’s S&PS business provides complete design, manufacture and assembly of the vehicle’s electrical architecture, including engineered component products, connectors, wiring assemblies and harnesses, cable management, electrical centers and hybrid high voltage and safety distribution systems.
Key responsibilities will therefore include:
- IP awareness raising, building a strong cultural connection with R&D conducive to a proactive IP strategy.
- Invention harvesting, through regular engagement with engineering teams and the establishment of effective disclosure processes. Post-pandemic regular travel to R&D sites is possible.
- Strategic counselling, including guiding the business through freedom to operate challenges on projects you serve as the IP contact for.
- Outside counsel management, on an international basis to ensure the effective drafting and prosecution of Aptiv patents in alignment with departmental strategy.
Further responsibilities may include, but not be limited to:
- Conducting opposition proceedings, in conjunction with outside counsel, both to defend Aptiv’s patents and on occasion to oppose applications of competitors.
- Supporting transactions, including due diligence for acquisition targets, reviewing IP clauses of contractual agreements with Aptiv customers, or in-licensing IP portfolios.
- Supporting litigation, if IP infringement issues arise as the automotive industry continues to evolve.
We want to hear from both European and US-qualified patent attorneys with a background in mechanical engineering and/or electrical engineering, however, backgrounds in physics or computer science will also be considered. Prior in-house experience is preferred but not necessary: if you have the aptitude and desire to adapt to in-house life after several years in a law firm, the department is open to supporting you in making that career transition.
Given future trends in the automotive industry, attorneys with practical experience in the semiconductor or telecommunications industries could be of particular interest. Most crucial, though, is a demonstrable passion for ongoing innovation in the automotive sector.
The successful candidate will therefore possess:
- Full qualification as a European Patent Attorney.
- A strong academic background in mechanical and/or electrical engineering, physics, or computer science.
- Practical experience in patenting mechanical and electrical subject matter.
- Fluency in English.
- An aptitude for the commercial considerations behind IP, beyond the mere drafting and prosecution of patents.
The successful candidate will also ideally possess:
- Experience in software patent matters.
- Experience in post-grant work, of a transactional or contentious nature.
- German language skills would also be advantageous.
Aptiv Rewards & Advantages
- Competitive compensation package with bonus potential
- Learning, professional growth and development in a world-recognized international environment
- Access to internal & external training, coaching & certifications
- Recognition for innovation and excellence
- Opportunities to give back to the community
- Meaningful work that makes a difference in the world
Some see differences. We see perspectives that make us stronger.
Diversity and Inclusion are sources of innovation and creativity, both of which are essential to Aptiv’s success. Every day our diverse team comes together, drives innovation, pursues solutions, and meets challenges using their unique abilities, perspectives and talents, changing what tomorrow brings. When you join our team, you’ll get encouraged to think boldly, express your viewpoint and innovate as a matter of habit.
Some See Technology. We See a Way to Make Connections.
At Aptiv, we don’t just see the world differently; we work to change reality. That means developing technology that rewrites the rules of what’s possible in the pursuit of making transportation safer, greener and more connected. Today there are more than 190,000 of us globally, located in 46 countries, and united by one mission. Join the movement and together, let’s change tomorrow.
Privacy Notice - Active Candidates: https://www.aptiv.com/privacy-notice-active-candidates
Aptiv is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Emplois présentés / Postes récemment consultés / Postes sauvegardés
Postes récemment consultés
Aucun poste récemment consultéAfficher tous les postes disponibles
No saved jobsAfficher tous les postes disponibles